Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Guacasauraus Mex and Healthy Dippers


Ooooh I love this dip.  My friend Krissy made this for me while I was visiting Illinois back in July, and I've been wanting to make it ever since.  I made some slight variations to the recipe, and with her permission and the original creator's permission, here it is.  Plus, I've had the name "Guacasaurus Mex" (get it, like Tyrannosaurus Rex?) in my head for like two years now, and it's the perfect name for this dip!  It's not exactly guacamole or salsa, but definitely south of the border, so it's Guacasaurus Mex!


Even though there's a lot going on in this dip, it honestly tastes light and fresh.  Especially if you make it during this time of year because tomatoes and corn are so perfect right now.  And it's even sort of healthy -- at least compared to practically any other dip you might find at the grocery store. 

Plus, this makes a massive amount of dip.  Four hungry, hungry hippos adults barely polished this off over the course of an hour.


I'll give you one of my favorite healthy-eating tips:  use veggies instead chips as your dippers.  Of course, chips are awesome and some are literally manufactured into scoops to hold massive quantities of dip, but if you think about it, there are some natural scoops out there too.


Yeah, see what I mean?  If you cut a bell pepper right, the curve at the top (near the stem) will hold a ton of dip.  Just make sure to cut thick strips or it's not quite sturdy enough.

I normally try to use baby carrots too, but I was noticing that all of the dip slides off because there's no inward curvature.  Last night before our friends, Mike and Oz, came over for drinks and apps, I had an idea.  I scrounged through three different baskets of kitchen gadgets and found my melon scooper.  I grabbed a baby carrot, dug the scooper into one end... and voila!


A carrot scoop!  Sure it doesn't look like much, but check this out:

Yikes.  Ignore my cuticle.  I swear I'll get a manicure next week.
Heck yeah!  I was super impressed.  It's a little tedious to scoop out every single baby carrot, and much easier to open a bag of chips, but this is so much healthier!  Even Mikey ate his vegetables...


Guacasaurus Mex (adapted from Krissy's boss's recipe) :)

2 ripe avocados, pitted and diced (save the pits)
3 small-medium tomatoes, diced
5 green onions, thinly sliced
2 ears of corn, kernals cut off (raw, don't cook)
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust depending on how spicy you like it)

1/4 cup apple cidar vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or olive oil)

In a big plastic storage container with a tight-fitting lid, add the avocado (plus pits), tomatoes, onion, corn and black beans. Sprinkle salt, pepper and cayenne on top.  Do. Not. Stir.  Close the lid, double check that it's sealed, and shake everything all together.  See, you need a container that's big enough to allow for some jiggle room.  Otherwise, the ingredients will stay separated.  It should look like this:


If it's not mixing quite right (my avocado stayed in big chunks), then you can gently stir it with a big spoon.  Lastly, when you're ready to serve, whisk together the vinegar and oil.  Drizzle the mixture over the top of the dip and stir to incorporate. If you won't be serving it for a while, close the container and refrigerate until it's time -- and then drizzle the vinegar/oil when it's time to be devoured.  And trust me, it will be.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good! What do the avocado pits do, help with the shaking and distribution of ingredients?

    Do you have any problems with the avocado browning when you make this in advance, or does the oil and vinegar prevent that?

    It sounds like some chipotle in adobo would also go well with this, if one wants to add some smoky heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pits keep it from turning brown...the avocado

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Way healthier than the 7-layer bean dip from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alex! I just now saw your comment -- I've been taking a sabatical from blogginl, but I think I'm back! Great idea about the chipotle in adobo!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! It makes me feel like I'm not just writing to myself. :)