Tuesday, February 8, 2011

TWD: Bourbon Bread Pudding


Okay fine, I just made plain bread pudding without the bourbon.  Even though I'm not a bourbon fan, I was going to try it in the bread pudding because Dorie definitely knows what she's doing.  Todd and I had a small Super Bowl party (go Packers!!), so I had him pick up a bunch of stuff at the much cheaper suburban grocery store.  His list included a very small bottle of bourbon.  I was picturing a cute little bottle of Maker's Mark.

I should have been more specific because he brought home a flask-sized bottle of Jim Beam.  You know, the stuff that conceals nicely into a brown paper bag and is consumed under a bridge.  Obviously, I'm not a bourbon connoisseur, but I think I know enough to realize that Jim Beam is nasty....right??


Needless to say, I left out the bourbon.  Also, I had two friends in town over the weekend and was a little under the weather.  Similar to last week, I didn't put 100% into making this.  I didn't use measuring spoons and sort of eyeballed the amounts of liquids.  I did, however, use Challah (holla!) so that made up for any deficiencies.


We had so many appetizers, dips and Italian sandwiches that the bread pudding wasn't devoured.  But it was pretty tasty -- and pretty pretty!  Check out Sharon's blog, Simply Southern, for the full recipe... including the bourbon!

11 comments:

  1. that looks really good! great job this week as usual, Tia @ ButtercreamBarbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...cute hubby/Jim Beam story!! Your bread pudding looks yummy! I like the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your bread pudding looks amazing! Hope your super bowl party was fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holla! :) This looks lovely, Jessica! And that first photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad I don't live next door to you. Would be happy to help you eat it. Especially the first picture. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the pudding worked out, even without the Jim Beam! I used rum, as I don't know much about bourbon, but now I know what not to buy!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I've learned that sending my husband to the store (even with a list) is usually not a good idea :) I sat out this week, we're just not bread pudding fans here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo! The challah looks amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need need need to try some bread pudding! Send me some??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim Beam isn't so bad. It's a little dilute-flavored compared to top-shelf brands because it isn't aged as long, but it has no offensive flavors (Maker's Mark is owned by the same parent company). I also suspect that it's way too expensive for drinking under a bridge--you'd be surprised at the real discount brands out there.

    The best top-shelf bourbon at a low price is Eagle Rare 10yr. For $25 a bottle, it's 4 years older than Maker's Mark and is much more flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beam is definitely for the dogs...

    If you want a delicious bourbon use Bulleit bourbon. A fave without a doubt! Or for a cheaper bottle try Rebel Yell. Not great on its own, but surprisingly good when mixed with something and used as a base.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! It makes me feel like I'm not just writing to myself. :)