Tuesday, December 14, 2010

TWD: Apple-Coconut Family Cake


Todd and I hosted a holiday dinner party for a bunch of our friends this past Saturday.  I'll tell you much more about it later, but to whet your appetite here's what I made:  beef tenderloin with horseradish whipped cream, individual mushroom-lentil pot pies with a gouda biscuit topping, mustard-brown sugar carrots and sauteed green beans.  I'll just say it... it was awesome.  For dessert, I baked a birthday cake for Todd and another guest, Brittany.  That morning, I decided to make the apple-coconut family cake as well, and I'm so glad that I did!  This is one of my new favorites!!


Besides preparing the apples, this recipe is super easy.  You don't even have to use a mixer -- just combine the ingredients, pour in a springform pan, and bake.  After two days of non-stop cooking, a simple recipe was much appreciated. 


Yes, Todd and I wore ultra-festive Christmas gear.  That's a nice way of saying "ugly Christmas sweaters."  Hi Grandma!  I'm going to tell a quick story about you!  Over Thanksgiving I mentioned to my mom that I needed a crazy/ugly Christmas sweater for a few (yes, more than one) parties this holiday season. She immediately thought of her old sweater with fuzzy Santa heads all over it and said that she gave it to Grandma.  So I stopped by Grandma's house, and she gave me the sweater.  When asked why I wanted it, I explained that it's kind of trendy right now for people to wear ugly Christmas sweaters to parties.  With a confused/concerned look she said, "Well that's not an ugly sweater.  That's a nice sweater."  


Oh, and Todd got his denim shirt covered in elves from my dad.  Regardless of your opinion our outfits, you should really try to make this cake.  It's really moist and the coconut and apples give it a cool texture.  Plus, it's pretty.  Check out Amber's blog, Cobbler du Monde, for the full recipe!

4 comments:

  1. So cute! I can just picture your grandma! Your cake looks beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "ultra-festive Christmas gear!" The cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cake... and the outfits! Oh, can you send me one of those mushroom pot-pies, too? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! It makes me feel like I'm not just writing to myself. :)