Tuesday, October 19, 2010

TWD: Caramel Pumpkin Pie and 100th Post!

Wow! I didn't realize that this was going to be my 100th post! Yay!

Dorie's Caramel Pumpkin Pie is the perfect topic such a momentous occasion because I've been eyeing that recipe ever since I joined Tuesdays With Dorie. I always said that it was going to be my pick if it was still available... even if that meant 300 bloggers baking a pumpkin pie in July. :)

I know, I know... it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but trust me, it tasted amazing. Plus, it was made under interesting conditions. Five girls, one NYC kitchen, and two pies in under 3 hours. A couple of friends and I decided to have a baking party a few weeks ago. When the email went around about what to make, I obviously threw in some TWD suggestions! So we made the Caramel Pumpkin Pie and the Double-Crusted Apple Pie (next week).

Hello Vicki, Becca, Lindsay and Rachel! You made my blog! See the completed pies? Yum... Since we are not complete gluttons (at least not that day), we decided to invite the hubbies and fiances over to help us eat the finished product. They were both a huge hit! Vicki is actually a pastry-chef-turned-law-student (funny, b/c I want to go the opposite direction), and her husband said that it was the best pumpkin pie he's ever had. I think that's a pretty good endorsement!


Timing and oven temperature were definitely tricky with the dueling pies. I think that's why our pumpkin pie crust got a little too dark.

The Caramel Pumpkin Pie is pretty much just a normal pumpkin pie with homemade caramel mixed in. Thank God for Vicki - otherwise, I think we would have had a grocery store run for a jar of caramel. For some reason, caramel is not my friend. I've had several failed attempts, so I was very happy to hear that Vicki knew how to handle it.


I love aftermath pictures. Proves that it was a success. It looks like we ate these face first with our hands tied behind our backs. Maybe we did.... :)
Thanks to Janell of Mortensen Family Memoirs for the great pick! Make sure to check out her blog for the full recipe. This would be perfect for Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

  1. How fun! and what a perfect way to get rid of all of that temptation. Your pies look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww you guys look so cute together! a real live baking group :) love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baking parties. My five girls flew in for 'girls weekend'. This excellent pie was on the menu. We had fun making Dories crust and the caramel. Success!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you liked it! Your apple pie looks like it turned out great too. I can't wait to try it next week.

    Thanks for baking along with me!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! It makes me feel like I'm not just writing to myself. :)